Firefighters dose fire in TeAtatu South suburb of Auckland
The fire service in Auckland said that firemen dosed a fire on McLeod Road in the suburb of TeAtatu South in Auckland.
The fire started at around 2.45pm on Wednesday and was brought under control around 4.30pm. The fire started at a collection of industrial units in TeAtatu South and rising smoke could be seen from around West Auckland. Even as the flames were brought under control in less than two hours, around 20 local households were advised by the authorities to stay indoors while the fire was dosed off completely.
A health protection officer was at the scene at around 7 pm and the firefighters were being decontaminated, according to Fire Service shift manager Jaron Phillips. Even as the fire is dosed off, the firefighters were likely to stay overnight at the scene. Pieces of asbestos were found in the roof of the 100m long building, according to the environmental health protection officer.
The industrial units belonged to a clothing company, a shelving company and a manufacturer of beams. Tom Wolfenden, the director and owner of one of the companies, Konstruct, said that they heard loud noises for few minutes and 10 staff on-site got out of the building immediately.
Waitemata assistant area commander John Booth said that no one is believed to have been injured in the fire.